Tuesday, September 25, 2007

# 7 - King Konka

I'm probably going about this the wrong way, but this blog task has come at a time when I'm not so much enthused about new technology as much as musing on the ways that shiny new whizz-bang gadgetry is taking over the hearts and minds of the populace. Now, I'm no Luddite. I was the first person I knew to get an iPod, irregardless of the fact that its hard-drive died one month after the warranty expired (thanks Apple). But the drive towards built in obsolescence is a nightmare.

Case in point: I'm currently researching brands of new TVs, preferably an LCD of about 100 cm. My boy and I have a yearning for the Bravia series, so I checked out some reviews. Said reviews were uniformly excellent, but get this: for a television that costs over $2500.00, the general consensus was that "you'll get a few years out of it". And this was being said in a POSITIVE context; that an electronic item that costs as much as my current car is worth will last 3 years and that's a good thing!

Our current TV is a 51 cm Konka, churned out of some Chinese factory, purchased with a budget of $200 scraped together from various bank accounts and what we found down the back of the couch. We only bought it because the TV we had was so old that we couldn't connect a DVD player that we had got for free, and it didn't have a remote. We brought it home and plugged it and the DVD player in and that was it. It's still going, except every 10 seconds or so, the picture jumps vertically. And here's the thing - the Konka has LASTED THREE YEARS!

So what's the deal?

No comments: